Thursday 15 December 2016

Reflective Statement for "What if? Metropolis"

Intially I quickly created thumbnails of my artists world without properly understanding the complete project brief. This meant that many of my thumbnails did not really fit into my final design.  I learnt: 1) the importance of understanding the task 2) that thumbnails are never wasted time.  What may not be good in one project might be perfect for another.

I began to understand the definition of space and environment. I learnt: 1) the importance of digging deep and really understanding the space you are creating 2)  to think about the environments around me and to think about their components 3) to be brave and experiment with shapes and textures

Understanding and manipulating the software of Maya and Photoshop has previously scared me - this project has helped to develop my skills in this area.  I learnt: 1) how to model in Maya 2) how to create texture, bump and colour  maps 3) how to render scenes using wireframe and a UV grid 4) how to light a scene 5) how to create a matte painting in Photoshop 6) how to increase my toolbox 7) how to increase my speed

My chosen artist's character and style was difficult for me to understand because he lived and operated in world that was alien to me.  I initially could not or chose not to incorporate some aspects of the artist into my work.  However, I learnt: 1) it was possible to collaborate with an artist whilst detatched from his life style 2) I wasn't recreating his work but rather trying to see things in the way that he might 

Perspective has not been easy for me to grasp however throughout this project I have learnt: 1) to look at environments me and consider perspective of buildings and shapes 2) there is more than one perspective 3) it can be used to transport a viewer into the scene

The films that I watched have not always been ones I would have chosen.  In some cases I have been surprised at what I have enjoyed but in other cases have been traumatised by horror.  However throughout them all, I have learnt 1) that I am able to appreciate production design and the efforts that production artists go to in order to portray theme and narrative 2) about colour symbolism and the use of matte paintings before CGI 3) about the impact of costume and mise-en-scene 4) about the use of camera angles to create tension and suspense

This project has caused me stress and anxiety and at times, I was unable to see an end product!  However as I began to develop my software skills and combine them with my technical ability I really began to enjoy this project.  I have learnt so much and I believe have developed my skill set in  production design.  I have enjoyed the way in which our group has bonded over this project and worked together to help individuals.  I have really appreciated the support of students in other years and their willingness to advise and guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment